Thursday, October 4, 2012

Balsamic Apple Chicken

So, I am in love with food blogging. I am almost always looking for new recipes to test on my hubby. This has been his absolute favorite and we have it just about every week. Many people (including myself) are looking for quick, easy meals that are delicious and affordable. Here's my own recipe on a yummy, fall meal. 

Start off by chopping an onion and an apple. Both your preference as to what kinds you want to use.

Saute over medium heat in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Sauteed apples and onions send a wonderful smell throughout the kitchen. One of my favorites! :)

After a couple minutes, add chicken. Make sure it is flattened out on the pan (I love my cast iron!) so it can sear well. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Flip after 2-3 minutes. 


Drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with a little brown sugar and let it simmer. After a few minutes, it will begin to coat the chicken with a yummy, sweet glaze. Flip the chicken and let the other side brown up. I like my chicken nice and golden because it makes it more flavorful, but you can cook it how ever long you want. Just don't overcook or it will be very dry. :-/

I love polenta. I make creamy, cheesy polenta by following the directions on the back and then adding a bit of milk and grated cheese. Make sure you salt the water - else, it will be rather bland.

Choose whatever vegetable side you like. We chose fresh spinach that I cooked down in the same pan I cooked the chicken in. The brown bits in the pan gave the spinach lots of yummy flavor. 

Serve chicken over polenta and don't forget all the caramelized apples and onions to top!

Balsamic Apple Chicken
1 pkg. boneless chicken thighs
1 apple
1/2 of large onion
1 T olive oil
2-3 T balsamic vinegar
1 T brown sugar
salt and pepper for seasoning

Chop onion and apple. Saute over medium heat in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. After a couple minutes, add chicken thighs so they are flat against the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Sear 2-3 minutes and flip. Add balsamic vinegar and brown sugar and simmer down until it makes a glaze. Make sure both sides of the chicken have been coated and are golden brown. Serve over creamy polenta and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment