Thursday, October 17, 2013

A Long Day at the Hospital

I went to my prenatal visit today fully aware that I would be there for a good couple hours. I was expecting to be put on the monitor, visit with the midwife and get an ultrasound. That right there made me tired just thinking about it! I spent 6 1/2 hours at the hospital today. Here's the news...

My urine test results came back higher yesterday. They went from 323 to 420 within one week. That was the reason for the extra monitoring today. I got to the hospital at 8am and wasn't hooked up until 8:30. For the first twenty minutes, the baby didn't move (even after a bottle of OJ), so they decided to keep me on there for a while longer. She finally decided to wake up from her sleepy time, and after 45 minutes of monitoring I was sent back out to wait. At 10am I had a quick ultrasound to check on my amniotic fluid. All looked well and we were in and out in about 10 minutes.

THEN I met with my midwife... she is very concerned about me and not too happy with my levels. She basically told me that we will be delivering this baby as soon as it is safe enough to do so. I told her how crummy I have been feeling and she totally understood. It is nice to be understood! :) My blood pressure is affecting so many things... I wish it would just go away! She then told me that she was sending me to Labor and Delivery after my visit with her where they would monitor me more and take some blood. When you are in Labor and Delivery, I guess they can get test results back in 1-2 hours, rather than a few days.

So I headed to Registration where we went over paperwork and I was put into the system. She wrapped my wrist with a band and said she hoped I had a quick, easy delivery. Haha - at this point I was feeling like I actually was going to have the baby. Registration, arm band, Labor and Delivery... it all seemed a little too much like the actual "Labor Day" to me. Thankfully it was not, but I got a good feeling for what is going to happen when I do.

Are you tired yet? At this point I was so tired and just ready to go home. Needless to say, I was appointed a room number and given a gown to change into. I hopped into the bed and was hooked up to the monitors again. They took my blood pressure, temp, urine and then three viles of blood. Then we waited... and waited... and waited. Two-and-a-half-hours. By this time I was starving. I had literally hardly had a bite to eat all day. I waited and waited to hear from the doctor if I could eat and finally an on-call midwife came in to assure me I was all set to eat.

Sigh. After all that, they decided to let me go home... but with that urine jug again. I have to return it to Labor and Delivery tomorrow, and while I wait for results they will monitor me and decide what to do from there. This game is no fun. But the baby is healthy and that's what matters. It's all a day-by-day process, so I never know what is going to happen. Makes me glad I believe in a God who is in control of all things, and I can rest assured that He will take care of me!

It really is looking like we could have this baby next week, but I can't say for certain. I will just keep everyone updated as I get instructions. For now, I am resting and am trying to feel better. Thank you so much for your prayers! I am so blessed to have family and friends from near and far praying on my behalf!

Until the next result,

No comments:

Post a Comment