Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have seen many recipes with browned butter in them lately. It truly does give baked goods kind of a caramel-y flavor, especially when you add brown sugar to it! I have also made tons of different chocolate chip cookie recipes, and I don't think any have come out as good as these. I have taken a basic sort of cookie and made my own tweaks to it. The end result is addictive! I have to admit, I am actually eating one as I blog. ;)

Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
by AmeliaJean


2¼ cup all-purpose flour
1¼ teaspoons baking soda
¼ teaspoon of salt
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup crisco
1 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon plain sour cream
1 bag chocolate chips - any kind will work, but my husband tends to love Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips!
**Note** I just made these again and didn't have crisco on hand, so I used all butter. They actually came out better and more fluffed up! Just substitute the crisco for another stick of butter. I also made homemade brown sugar (it is very simple to make) and that seemed to make them taste even more caramel-y. 
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

-Melt butter in pan and cook until starting to brown. Be careful not to burn the butter, as I have done this before!

-Let butter cool a bit. In the meantime, blend dry ingredients.

-Using a mixer, beat butter, crisco and both sugars until light and fluffy. This actually does matter, so make sure to give it a good beating! Mix in egg, yolk, vanilla and sour cream until combined. 





Gradually add the dry ingredients. Dump in chocolate chips and mix.


-Let cool in the refrigerator for a while or pop into the freezer to harden up the batter. The batter consistency is on the looser side, so this step is important. You may need to add just a bit of flour if it ends up looking like it needs it!



-Drop onto cookie pans with cookie scoop or by tablespoon. I usually grease my pans just in case. Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges are just golden. I baked mine for 9 and they were perfect - you don't want them too overdone. Keep the batter cold while waiting to switch out pans.


-Let cool slightly on wire racks and then enjoy. :)

*Note: to make them more look more circular, roll into balls instead of dropping with scoop. They may come out more uniform.
*Update* I tried rolling the dough out into balls - works like a charm!




No comments:

Post a Comment